Wednesday, January 21, 2015

How do you analyze a political cartoon?

1.You want to look for the obvious things first like words, animals or symbols that you recognize. Then try and relate it to the political cartoonist that made the cartoon. If you can't think of how it relates then, try and think of the time period that the cartoon would convey or was made in.

2. I looked up the Cartoon Analysis Guide- It's No Laughing Matter: Analyzing Political Cartoons on the library of congress.
I already knew that you should look at objects in the cartoon and try and relate it to the author of the cartoon or the time period, but I did not think about exaggeration. That is so obvious to me now! Of course political cartoonists would exaggerate things, most of the ones we have seen in class exaggerate a situation that the political cartoonist feels strongly about. I did know that artists will use words to really try and convey their message, it makes it easier for the person looking at the political cartoon to understand what the artist means.

3. Now I will look more specifically at the cartoon. What is going on? What do you see that you know? What is the political cartoonist trying to convey through this drawing? I will look at more than just things I know, I will look at exaggeration and irony and symbolism.
My new political cartoon guide :)

4.
This political cartoon represents America stepping onto Philippine land, or taking over the Philippines and showing their control by allowing other countries of their choice into this country. 

Analysis: I know that this picture is portraying America (the uncle sam) opening the doors of the Philippines (because the entrance to the gate says philippines) and letting in who it pleases. The uncle Sam is shown using his arm to greet people into Philippines, which is illustrating America's power. America is the one who took over the Philippines. The two people America is letting in look like crooks, and I know these "crooks" represent countries because of their hats and because of the countries names in the hats. Again, this is representing America's power, illustrating that we have the say of who can get let into the country. I am still wondering why Russia and the other man are being portrayed as "crooks" or look like "bad guys" when we are the ones taking over someone else's country?
This cartoon illustrates the power America has over the Philippines, the men underneath them.

Analysis: This cartoon is showing America in the forefront (Uncle Sam) yet again. America along with a line of other countries (represented by men) are atop of Filipinos. I can guess this because of their skin color and because of the time period. During this time the Spanish-American War was going on and America was trying to take control over the Philippines. The Filipinos are being hardened by our tight control and are burdened by the "weight" America put on their backs. I still have a question though, why is there a man in a turban in this picture? and why are these figures in this setting? 

This political cartoonist was trying to portray America juggling all of its territories that it has taken over, and the struggles that come along with all of these newly acquired territories 

Analysis: This political cartoonist was illustrating the hardship America (represented by uncle sam) had of juggling all of these countries America was taking over like, Hawaii, Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Philippines (who are represented as babies). If these countries saw this illustration they might be offended because each of them are being portrayed as babies. Babies are hard to juggle, especially when there are more than one of them at a time, you have to watch over them and make sure they don't cry, keep them at bay. It looks like America is doing just that, keeping these "children" at bay. But, why are these countries being portrayed as babies when they can clearly rule themselves?


No comments:

Post a Comment