Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Letter to Home about my Immigration

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Dear mom,

            I am finally in America! It has taken me weeks, months to get here and I am so excited. When I stepped off that boat I was overwhelmed with the scenery and the beauty of America. I am in New York city! Coney Island is my favorite place to go here. It is an island that you have to take another boat to, and there is so much to do there! It's an amusement park, so I can play arcade games and ride roller coasters! The food here is good, fatting, but good! Back in the city I live in a neighborhood, or area known as the "suburbs". There are other people like me, that live close! We have a lot of similarities like, we all want to become Americanized and we are all foreign born! It's really cool! I heard that there are over 10 million us here, how amazing! It's not like this all the time though, there are some struggles of being an immigrant here in the United States.
            Finding a job here is close to impossible, I have one working in a factory, not ideal but it pays the bills. Other people in my community are not so fortunate. Most people on the streets look at us like aliens. We don't look like them or talk like them, and some Americans think that we have something wrong with us just because we don't look like them, I think some are even afraid of us. Another challenge is learning English. I had to go through what is called an "assimilation" process where I had to learn English to be in America. I don't understand why we had to do this. What is so wrong with my language that I have to change it? Shouldn't Americans be learning our languages too? I mean they are letting us into their country! English is not easy to understand. Two words sound the same and can mean totally different things.

But, I know I am not alone, and I have earned my right to be here in America! It is a wonderful place, filled with excitement and adventure! I hope you come see me soon mother!

Your new American daughter,
Meredith.

No comments:

Post a Comment